Thursday, June 13, 2013

Chuckwagon festival

Over a year ago I made a bucket list of things to do in Oklahoma. A few weeks ago we checked off another item on the list--the Cowboy museum--which means we have now done everything except bowling. And since bowling isn't exactly exclusive to Oklahoma, I think we've done pretty well!

I have been waiting and watching for a free or discounted day to visit the Cowboy museum since I made that list, so when some friends mentioned they had some free tickets I jumped at the chance. To make it even sweeter, we went during the annual Chuckwagon Festival, so there were even more kid-friendly, hands-on activities than usual. The kids decorated bandanas, made butter from cream, made bear claw necklaces, and turned rope which they then used to lasso "sheep."


Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug




We also explored the childrens' exhibit, with lots of hands on activities. Savannah found some boots that are pretty much the cutest thing I've ever seen. Maybe this girl needs some boots for her birthday in two weeks...



The museum itself was pretty amazing. I didn't really know what to expect, and I wasn't sure how an entire museum could be dedicated to cowboys, but I found it all fascinating. There was an exhibit on rodeos, one on Native Americans, one on cowboy celebrities, and others that I can't recall now. It was all set up in such a way that there was plenty to see, but you didn't feel overwhelmed by it. The rodeo exhibit made you feel like you were actually at a rodeo. Plus there was an entire western town that felt like we'd walked back in time. Not to mention the beautiful grounds that had me wondering how I could recreate it all at home.


I'm so glad the opportunity came up for us to finally check this off our list. Thank you Wallaces for thinking of us!

0 comments: