.

.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Greeting cards have all been sent...

and here is your digital copy. Enjoy!


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Caroling

Logan has really loved getting in the Christmas spirit this year. He especially loves Christmas carols and sings them constantly. When he comes to a part where he's not really sure what the words are, he makes his best guess. Some of his interpretations crack me up.

Jingle Bells:
Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way. Ooh-ma-ha it is to ride one hope sleigh.

Angels We Have Heard on High
Glo-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-re-ah. Let no beanie yang-ya. [This actually changes every time he sings it.]


Drummer Boy
They told me rum-pu-pu-pum. They told baby Jesus rum-pu-pu-pum. Mary came to find Jesus rum-pu-pum.

He and Savannah also love singing "When Christmas Comes to Town" from The Polar Express (first song in our playlist). But they don't have to make up any words to that one. They've watched the movie enough times in the last month to have memorized every word.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Babies don't really need names, right?

Growing up, I always dreamed of the day I would have a baby to name. There were so many fun and unique names that the only hard part would be narrowing it down. What I forgot to anticipate is that in order to have a baby I would also have a HUSBAND who would share in the naming process. And that said husband would have a VERY STRONG OPINION on what we would name our baby (babies). Which is fine, since I also have a strong opinion about it. It would just be nice if our opinions matched every once in a while.

Naming our children is a 9-month ordeal. From the positive pregnancy test until the blank birth certificate is in my hand, I stress and worry and contemplate what we could possibly name this child. And even if I were to find a name I loved on day 2 of the pregnancy, by the time of delivery I would have changed my mind 30 times over. I have poured over baby name websites and even downloaded a 50,000 baby names app for our iPad. I'm pretty sure I have read every single one of those 50,000 names (well, at least the 25,000 girl names) and I don't feel any closer to naming this child than when we started. 90% of the names I suggest, Jeff shoots down immediately. And I shoot down his suggestions likewise. The other 10% sits on the list for awhile, but ultimately they have all ended up in the discard pile for one reason or another.

Today I remembered how a friend had opened up her naming struggles to her blog followers several years ago. Out of curiosity, I found the original post and checked the comments to see if she had picked one of the names suggested. Sure enough, the name of her son was included in one of the comments at the bottom! So, out of hope and desperation, I would like to try the same thing. Here are some guidelines to get started, although nothing is really out of scope at this point.

1. We like names with some substance, and are not afraid of long names that will most likely be shortened.
2. No weird spellings.
3. Can't start with a "P." (Would you give your child the initials of PP?)
4. Nothing on the top 10 list. But also nothing so unusual you don't know how to pronounce it.

That's about it. Should be easy, right? Maybe you can accomplish something I have failed at for over 2 months now. My baby counter is now in the double digits (94 days and counting) so it would be nice to have a few solid options within the next month.

Here's a totally unrelated picture I took for a project I'm working on of the two kids we have successfully named. Gotta love toddler hands.

Thursday, December 2, 2010

1991


I came across this picture of my family from 1991. Nearly 20 years later, as a family we have produced:

1. six high school graduates
2. three (almost four) college graduates with two more on track
3. four full-time missions
4. three spouses
5. five (almost six) grandchildren

and that's just the kids. My parents' accomplishments include multiple business start-ups, six houses, back-to-school for my dad (who already had a doctorate), trips around the world, and FINALLY becoming legitimate empty nesters.

Nice work, family. Here's to 20 more years.